It's time to learn about Fairtrade! Whether kindy, primary school, intermediate or high school, Morning Tea is a perfect excuse to eat Fairtrade chocolate, drink Fairtrade hot chocolate and learn all about the benefits of Fairtrade.
It's such a great event. You get to spread the word about Fairtrade plus raise money for a good cause AND have fun at the same time! We love Fairtrade Hot Chocolate. It's become a Meadowbank School Tradition!
Oxfam's Morning Tea (which was Oxfam’s Biggest Chocolate Break) is a great way to get children doing some real-life learning while enjoying some yummy treats. It's a chance to bring everyone one together and welcome new students and parents too.
Make it a learning experience
Oxfam’s Morning Tea can play an important role in the school year and it’s not just about baking.
For primary schools why not ...
- Create invitations and posters to get people along
- Make different shaped biscuits and cakes
- Do some real life maths to work out the total cost and change needed for different treats and drinks
- Encourage pupils to help to set up and greet, or serve guests
- Follow our assembly plan designed to encourage student participation and an understanding as to how they are making a difference
For intermediate and secondary pupils you could ...
- Do the maths for how much it costs to make a cake – and how much to sell it for to make a profit
- Get pupils working together to plan and organise their event following our helpful assembly plan
- Create publicity posters in Art and Design to get people along
- Give pupils the project of researching and giving a presentation on how Oxfam enables whole communities to thrive.
- Use our classroom activities and lesson plans to help students better understand the world food system and the role of fair trade.
And don’t forget, it’s a really enjoyable experience too. Let pupils do some baking. Have a bake-off just for staff – or open it up to your whole school community. It’s a sure way to make your event even more fun, so everyone wants to get involved.
Early bird sign ups: Register by March 14, 2014 and be in with the chance of winning a year’s supply of fresh roasted Caffe L’affare coffee.